Adios, SuMo

I wonder if SuMo realizes they speak
Spanish in AZ, not Japanese
Last Friday evening, Susan Monday, affectionately referred to as SuMo by her loyal fans, tweeted a simple announcement: Sayonara, Delaware!  A picture of a "Welcome to the Grand Canyon State" accompanied her farewell.

Sayonara.

So abrupt.

So cold.

So final.


Reading the tweet this evening left an emptiness inside.  SuMo wouldn't be returning to the Delaware airwaves.  As she embarks on a new career with KFYI News Talk 550 as a news anchor ("to start," as she explained to her fans in the tweet), one can only wonder if she'll ever take a vacation in Delaware and ride some waves on the Delaware beaches if not on the radio.

For seven years, SuMo was a daily companion for many who tuned in to her show. She rode many miles with me.  She made me angry.  She made me happy.  She never made me cry because, you know, I'm a guy, but she made me laugh.  Mostly, she made me feel good and made me think, often on paths I wouldn't have thought about without her prodding.

All her loyal fans knew she often took vacations out west.  It was no secret she loved the wide, open spaces.  She was destined to end up in our sunsets.  As the sun goes down here, it still shines brightly out there.

Ahh, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Only, there's no grass in Arizona.  It's a desert.

Yes, I'm trying to guilt trip her back here.  I mean, you don't move in, make yourself at home, then abruptly leave as if your stay meant nothing.

Somehow, my Mom makes the guilt trip thing work without fail.  Gender assignment aside, I reckon I could never be a Mom.

Anyway, for all you SuMo fans out there, you know where she's at now and I doubt my guilt trip attempt is going to bring her back.  Delmarva lost a trusted friend.  Arizona gained a shake 'em up biker gal.  Yes, the green conscious biker gal uses foot pedal power, but she's still a biker gal willing to raise Hell.

Thank you for your seven years, SuMo.  Good luck and success in your new home.  We can always stream you if we have unlimited data plans.

Oh, after you get settled in and get through your first AZ summer, please send your fans on Delmarva round trip tickets so we can visit you.  That is if you survive your first summer.  I lived there ten years.  You know those aerosol cans that warn not to store above 120 degrees?  There were a couple of summers where Phoenix hit above that temperature - real temperature, not feels like temperature.  Everyone who kept their cans in the garage learned why that warning is on the label.  Rest assured, we'll welcome you back to Delmarva with open arms if it gets too hot for you.

I know, I know.  You'll say, "But it's a dry heat."  Very true until the thermometer hits around a 103 degrees.  Then you learn the second part of the saying.  "But a dry heat cooks a roast in the oven pretty good."  Remember that when you're watching TV at two in the morning and the temperature in the lower right corner of your TV screen reads 102 degrees.

Is the guilt trip thing working yet?


A short record of SuMo's influence on this blog even if she didn't mean to:

The Sexual Hang-ups of Mayor Jim Ireton - The very first story I wrote inspired by a SuMo segment

SuMo isn't just a Monday thing - My first review of SuMo's show

Susan Monday inducted as honorary Drunk Redneck - I didn't make the decision on a whim

Susan Monday montage dedication - A parody of SuMo's theme song

Susan Monday moving on up - Celebrating SuMo's "promotion" from local host to regional host

There are no active shooters - One of the few times I called out the former English teacher turned radio host

SuMo had far more influence on this blog than even she probably realizes and the above is only a small sampling.  The blog will go on, but SuMo's inspiration will be greatly missed.



For your viewing pleasure - Saturday night fun in Arizona
and the future of talk radio?



Is the guilting working, yet, SuMo?


Posted by A Drunk Redneck

Comments